Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Book Avoidance

Here's a book that I might have read "BC" (before cancer).  The Emperor of All Maladies is a "biography" of cancer by Siddhartha Mukherjee.  It sounds like something I would read because I enjoy general non-fiction, like to learn new things, and have found medical history fascinating.  It has a great title and on the cover, an intricate yet fearsome crab.  One of the reviews I read said something to this effect: oncologists can offer all kinds of treatments and often with so little success or hope.  That's why I don't want to read this book yet.   The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion also hasn't made its way to my Kindle yet.  Didion's husband died suddenly while they were dealing with their daughter's serious illness.  Eventually, I am sure that I'll read them both, just not yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment