Wednesday, November 2, 2011

A Good Marriage

On my way to work today, I heard a bit on the radio about marriage.  A study had been done and revealed the secret to a successful, til death-us-do-part marriage.  It wasn't whether the partners were good looking, or shared interests, or similar senses of humor.  It was commitment.  Specifically, commitment to the marriage itself, to seeing it through to the end.
Mark and I got engaged in October of 1977.  We were at a cheesy restaurant bar in Southcenter Mall; the world series was on the bar television.  He was adamant that once he got in, that was it.  He meant to keep his commitment.  He had lived through his parents' ill-fated marriage and subsequent years and pledged that he would not be in a marriage like that.  That was his word to me and I gave him my word in return.  We succeeded in creating a life-long, committed, solid marriage.  I'm proud of that.  I'm proud that we lived our March 1978 marriage vows: in sickness and in health, till death do us part, which it did on October 9th, 2011.  We kept our words to each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment